Although there are many products that claim to whiten your teeth at home, professional tooth whitening is the safest and most effective method of getting a brighter smile. Here are the five main benefits of having your teeth whitened professionally by a family dentist in Winchester, Woburn, Wakefield or Burlington.
1. Better results Professional tooth whitening uses stronger whitening agents than those found in at-home whitening kits and toothpastes. As a result, your teeth can become noticeably whiter after just a single whitening treatment. In comparison, whitening toothpastes gradually change the color of your teeth over several weeks, so you will need to be very patient if you decide to take the DIY approach.
2. Protection for your gums When you have a whitening treatment in your Massachusetts family dentistry practice, the dentist will make sure that the whitening agents are only applied to your teeth, while minimizing the exposure of other tissues in your mouth, such as your gums. As a result, you should not experience gum pain or other types of mouth pain as a result of professional tooth whitening.
3. Avoid damaging your tooth enamel Professional tooth whitening is the safest option for your tooth enamel. Your family dentist can assess the health of your tooth enamel during a dental checkup and advise you about whether tooth whitening is a suitable treatment for you. A skilled Melrose dentist can also carefully control the length of time that the whitening gel remains on your teeth to make sure that there is no risk to your enamel. Some people experience slight tooth sensitivity after whitening, but this side effect usually goes away quickly.
4. Protection for existing dental work If you have had mouth reconstruction work carried out, then you should check with your dentist before using any teeth whitening products. Professional tooth whitening generally has little or no effect on crowns or dental implants, but you should make your dentist aware of your dental work so that he or she can ensure that your smile reconstruction is not affected by the whitening process. Standard tooth whitening treatments typically do not change the color of crowns and dental implants, so you might need specialist treatments to remove stains from these restorative devices. Ask your Wakefield or Reading family dentist for advice if you are concerned about stains on your dental crowns or implants.
5. Long lasting effects The effects of professional tooth whitening can last for months or even years, which makes the process cost-effective and worthwhile for many people. You can help to preserve the results of your whitening treatment by avoiding common causes of staining, which include smoking and drinking coffee and red wine.
Is professional tooth whitening right for you? Most people are suitable candidates for professional tooth whitening, although there are a few exceptions. Ask your Stoneham family dentist about tooth whitening during your next dentist appointment to find out whether you could benefit from this safe and effective treatment.